About the Church

Welcome to the new website for Faith Church of Grove, OK! My hope is that through this web site that God would be glorified. The church is God’s messenger on earth to spread the gospel of Christ. We invite you to come and worship with us each Sunday. For we are a community church where the whole gospel is preached in kindness and love. You matter to God and you matter to us.

“Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”

ECCLESIASTES 4: 12

.

www.FaithChurchofGrove.com

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Sunday June 25 2017

“Paul—His Suffering for Jesus “
 Pastor Kim Wenzel
  Paul’s Trials
(This is a large post but the life of the Apostle Paul is such a great bible study and so many wonderful lessons for us!)
A. Had to prove his apostleship over and over:
1. Brethren in Corinth spread rumors that Paul was not really an apostle because he did
not take wages from churches as other apostles and preachers did (2 Corinthians 11:7-9; 12:11).
 2 Corinthians 11:7-9 (NASB)
7  Or did I commit a sin in humbling myself so that you might be exalted, because I preached the gospel of God to you without charge?
8  I robbed other churches by taking wages from them to serve you;
9  and when I was present with you and was in need, I was not a burden to anyone; for when the brethren came from Macedonia they fully supplied my need, and in everything I kept myself from being a burden to you, and will continue to do so. 
  2 Corinthians 12:11 (NASB)
11  I have become foolish; you yourselves compelled me. Actually I should have been commended by you, for in no respect was I inferior to the most eminent apostles, even though I am a nobody.
2. Paul spends the first two chapters of Galatians proving his apostleship to brethren
whose minds had been polluted by false teachers and men who discounted the
apostleship of Paul (Galatians 1:1, 6; 2:14).
 Galatians 1:1 (NASB)
1  Paul, an apostle (not sent from men nor through the agency of man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised Him from the dead), 
 Galatians 1:6 (NASB)
6  I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; 
Galatians 2:14 (NASB)
14  But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in the presence of all, "If you, being a Jew, live like the Gentiles and not like the Jews, how is it that you compel the Gentiles to live like Jews?

B. Suffered great tribulation for the message of truth preached:

1.At Lystra of Galatia (Acts 14:19).
 Acts 14:19 (NASB)
19  But Jews came from Antioch and Iconium, and having won over the crowds, they stoned Paul and dragged him out of the city, supposing him to be dead.
2. Paul relates his trials to the Corinthians (1 Corinthians 4:9-13; 2 Corinthians 11:1-33).
1 Corinthians 4:(9-13 (NASB)
9  For, I think, God has exhibited us apostles last of all, as men condemned to death; because we have become a spectacle to the world, both to angels and to men.
10  We are fools for Christ's sake, but you are prudent in Christ; we are weak, but you are strong; you are distinguished, but we are without honor.
11  To this present hour we are both hungry and thirsty, and are poorly clothed, and are roughly treated, and are homeless;
12  and we toil, working with our own hands; when we are reviled, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure;
13  when we are slandered, we try to conciliate; we have become as the scum of the world, the dregs of all things, even until now. 
  2 Corinthians 11:1-33 (NASB)
1  I wish that you would bear with me in a little foolishness; but indeed you are bearing with me.
2  For I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy; for I betrothed you to one husband, so that to Christ I might present you as a pure virgin.
3  But I am afraid that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds will be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.
4  For if one comes and preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted, you bear this beautifully.
5  For I consider myself not in the least inferior to the most eminent apostles.
6  But even if I am unskilled in speech, yet I am not so in knowledge; in fact, in every way we have made this evident to you in all things.
7  Or did I commit a sin in humbling myself so that you might be exalted, because I preached the gospel of God to you without charge?
8  I robbed other churches by taking wages from them to serve you;
9  and when I was present with you and was in need, I was not a burden to anyone; for when the brethren came from Macedonia they fully supplied my need, and in everything I kept myself from being a burden to you, and will continue to do so.
10  As the truth of Christ is in me, this boasting of mine will not be stopped in the regions of Achaia.
11  Why? Because I do not love you? God knows I do!
12  But what I am doing I will continue to do, so that I may cut off opportunity from those who desire an opportunity to be regarded just as we are in the matter about which they are boasting.
13  For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ.
14  No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.
15  Therefore it is not surprising if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end will be according to their deeds.
16  Again I say, let no one think me foolish; but if you do, receive me even as foolish, so that I also may boast a little.
17  What I am saying, I am not saying as the Lord would, but as in foolishness, in this confidence of boasting.
18  Since many boast according to the flesh, I will boast also.
19  For you, being so wise, tolerate the foolish gladly.
20  For you tolerate it if anyone enslaves you, anyone devours you, anyone takes advantage of you, anyone exalts himself, anyone hits you in the face.
21  To my shame I must say that we have been weak by comparison. But in whatever respect anyone else is bold—I speak in foolishness—I am just as bold myself.
22  Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they descendants of Abraham? So am I.
23  Are they servants of Christ?—I speak as if insane—I more so; in far more labors, in far more imprisonments, beaten times without number, often in danger of death.
24  Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine lashes.
25  Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, a night and a day I have spent in the deep.
26  I have been on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from my countrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the sea, dangers among false brethren;
27  I have been in labor and hardship, through many sleepless nights, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure.
28  Apart from such external things, there is the daily pressure on me of concern for all the churches.
29  Who is weak without my being weak? Who is led into sin without my intense concern?
30  If I have to boast, I will boast of what pertains to my weakness.
31  The God and Father of the Lord Jesus, He who is blessed forever, knows that I am not lying.
32  In Damascus the Ethnarch under Aretas the king was guarding the city of the Damascenes in order to seize me,
33  and I was let down in a basket through a window in the wall, and so escaped his hands. 
 
C. Endured physical pain due to sickness (or disease) (Galatians 4:12-15; 2 Corinthians 12:7-10)
Galatians 4:12-15 (NASB)
12  I beg of you, brethren, become as I am, for I also have become as you are. You have done me no wrong;
13  but you know that it was because of a bodily illness that I preached the gospel to you the first time;
14  and that which was a trial to you in my bodily condition you did not despise or loathe, but you received me as an angel of God, as Christ Jesus Himself.
15  Where then is that sense of blessing you had? For I bear you witness that, if possible, you would have plucked out your eyes and given them to me.
2 Corinthians 12:7-10 (NASB)
7  Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me—to keep me from exalting myself!
8  Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me.
9  And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.
10  Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong. 

D. Paul endured various ill treatment from brethren:
1. Some were jealous of him and sought to afflict him with emotional pain (Philippians  1:15-17).
Philippians 1:15-17 (NASB)
15  Some, to be sure, are preaching Christ even from envy and strife, but some also from good will;
16  the latter do it out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel;
17  the former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition rather than from pure motives, thinking to cause me distress in my imprisonment.
2. Some brethren became his enemy simply because he exposed their sin (Galatians 4:16).
 Galatians 4:16 (NASB)
16  So have I become your enemy by telling you the truth?
3. Paul was brought to tears due to the work of false teachers (Philippians 3:17-19).
 Philippians 3:17-19 (NASB)
17  Brethren, join in following my example, and observe those who walk according to the pattern you have in us.
18  For many walk, of whom I often told you, and now tell you even weeping, that they are enemies of the cross of Christ,
19  whose end is destruction, whose god is their appetite, and whose glory is in their shame, who set their minds on earthly things.
4. Some brethren accused Paul of being inconsistent with his teachings and thereby
untrustworthy (2 Corinthians 1:17).
2 Corinthians 1:17 (NASB)
17  Therefore, I was not vacillating when I intended to do this, was I? Or what I purpose, do I purpose according to the flesh, so that with me there will be yes, yes and no, no at the same time?
5. Some brethren said that Paul was preaching his own ideas as opposed to divine
revelation (2 Corinthians 3:1; 4:5; 5:12; 10:12; 13:3).
 2 Corinthians 3:1 (NASB)
1  Are we beginning to commend ourselves again? Or do we need, as some, letters of commendation to you or from you? 
 2 Corinthians 4:5 (NASB)
5  For we do not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bond-servants for Jesus' sake. 
 2 Corinthians 5:12 (NASB)
12  We are not again commending ourselves to you but are giving you an occasion to be proud of us, so that you will have an answer for those who take pride in appearance and not in heart. 
Corinthians 10:12 (NASB)
12  For we are not bold to class or compare ourselves with some of those who commend themselves; but when they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are without understanding. 
 2 Corinthians 13:3 (NASB)
3  since you are seeking for proof of the Christ who speaks in me, and who is not weak toward you, but mighty in you.
6. Some brethren accused Paul of being deranged or mad (2 Corinthians 5:13).
2 Corinthians 5:13 (NASB)
13  For if we are beside ourselves, it is for God; if we are of sound mind, it is for you.
7. Some brethren accused Paul of lacking courage when in person (2 Corinthians 10:1, 10).
 2 Corinthians 10:1 (NASB)
1  Now I, Paul, myself urge you by the meekness and gentleness of Christ—I who am meek when face to face with you, but bold toward you when absent! 
 2 Corinthians 10:10 (NASB)
10  For they say, "His letters are weighty and strong, but his personal presence is unimpressive and his speech contemptible."
8. Some brethren called Paul an idiot (2 Corinthians 11:5).
 2 Corinthians 11:5 (NASB)
5  For I consider myself not in the least inferior to the most eminent apostles.
9. Some brethren accused Paul of trying to scam the brotherhood by collecting funds from
the Macedonian brethren for the needy saints in Jerusalem (2 Corinthians 12:16-18).
 2 Corinthians 12:16-18 (NASB)
16  But be that as it may, I did not burden you myself; nevertheless, crafty fellow that I am, I took you in by deceit.
17  Certainly I have not taken advantage of you through any of those whom I have sent to you, have I?
18  I urged Titus to go, and I sent the brother with him. Titus did not take any advantage of you, did he? Did we not conduct ourselves in the same spirit and walk in the same steps?

Paul’s Character:

A. Faithfully fulfilled his commission ( Acts 26:16-18).
Acts 26:16-18 (NASB)
16  'But get up and stand on your feet; for this purpose I have appeared to you, to appoint you a minister and a witness not only to the things which you have seen, but also to the things in which I will appear to you;
17  rescuing you from the Jewish people and from the Gentiles, to whom I am sending you,
18  to open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the dominion of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been sanctified by faith in Me.'
B. Hard worker (1 Corinthians 15:10)
 1 Corinthians 15:10 (NASB)
10  But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain; but I labored even more than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God with me.
C. Unashamed of the gospel message (Romans 1:16)
 Romans 1:16 (NASB)
16  For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
D. Preached to the lost (Romans 1:14-15).
Romans 1:14-15 (NASB)
14  I am under obligation both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish.
15  So, for my part, I am eager to preach the gospel to you also who are in Rome.
E. Edified the saints (Acts 14:22).
Acts 14:22 (NASB)
22  strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying, "Through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God."
F. Prayed often for the saints (Ephesians 1:15-16; 3:14;
Philippians 1:3-11; Colossians 1:9 etc.).
Ephesians 1:15-16 (NASB)
15  For this reason I too, having heard of the faith in the Lord Jesus which exists among you and your love for all the saints,
16  do not cease giving thanks for you, while making mention of you in my prayers; 
 Ephesians 3:14 (NASB)
14  For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, 
Philippians 1:3-11 (NASB)
3  I thank my God in all my remembrance of you,
4  always offering prayer with joy in my every prayer for you all,
5  in view of your participation in the gospel from the first day until now.
6  For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
7  For it is only right for me to feel this way about you all, because I have you in my heart, since both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, you all are partakers of grace with me.
8  For God is my witness, how I long for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus.
9  And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment,
10  so that you may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ;
11  having been filled with the fruit of righteousness which comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God. 
 Colossians 1:9 (NASB)
9  For this reason also, since the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding,
G. Willing to stop doing things that offended others though he knew he could lawfully
participate (a disposition of love) (1 Corinthians 8:13; 9:22).
 1 Corinthians 8:13 (NASB)
13  Therefore, if food causes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause my brother to stumble. 
 1 Corinthians 9:22 (NASB)
22  To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some.
H. Exposed and named sinners (I Timothy 1:20; II Timothy 2:16-17).
1 Timothy 1:20 (NASB)
20  Among these are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan, so that they will be taught not to blaspheme. 
 2 Timothy 2:16-17 (NASB)
16  But avoid worldly and empty chatter, for it will lead to further ungodliness,
17  and their talk will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus,
I. Aggressively contended for the truth  (Acts 13:6-12).
Acts 13:6-12 (NASB)
6  When they had gone through the whole island as far as Paphos, they found a magician, a Jewish false prophet whose name was Bar-Jesus,
7  who was with the proconsul, Sergius Paulus, a man of intelligence. This man summoned Barnabas and Saul and sought to hear the word of God.
8  But Elymas the magician (for so his name is translated) was opposing them, seeking to turn the proconsul away from the faith.
9  But Saul, who was also known as Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, fixed his gaze on him,
10  and said, "You who are full of all deceit and fraud, you son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, will you not cease to make crooked the straight ways of the Lord?
11  "Now, behold, the hand of the Lord is upon you, and you will be blind and not see the sun for a time." And immediately a mist and a darkness fell upon him, and he went about seeking those who would lead him by the hand.
12  Then the proconsul believed when he saw what had happened, being amazed at the teaching of the Lord.
J. A man of courage. Without fear Paul called the false teachers in Corinth “ministers of
Satan,” “false apostles” and “deceitful workers” (2 Corinthians 11:13-15).
 2 Corinthians 11:13-15 (NASB)
13  For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ.
14  No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.
15  Therefore it is not surprising if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end will be according to their deeds.
K. A man who feared for the spiritual well being of brethren due to the work of false teachers (2 Corinthians 11:1-4; 12:20).
 2 Corinthians 11:1-4 (NASB)
1  I wish that you would bear with me in a little foolishness; but indeed you are bearing with me.
2  For I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy; for I betrothed you to one husband, so that to Christ I might present you as a pure virgin.
3  But I am afraid that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds will be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.
4  For if one comes and preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted, you bear this beautifully. 
 2 Corinthians 12:20 (NASB)
20  For I am afraid that perhaps when I come I may find you to be not what I wish and may be found by you to be not what you wish; that perhaps there will be strife, jealousy, angry tempers, disputes, slanders, gossip, arrogance, disturbances; 
L. Deeply loved other saints in fellowship with God (2 Corinthians 12:15).
2 Corinthians 12:15 (NASB)
15  I will most gladly spend and be expended for your souls. If I love you more, am I to be loved less?
M. Paul was humble (considered himself the chief of sinners) (I Tim. 1:15) (and the least of all the saints [Ephesians 3:8]).
 1 Timothy 1:15 (NASB)
15  It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all.
  Ephesians 3:8 (NASB)
8  To me, the very least of all saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unfathomable riches of Christ,
N. He was willing to suffer persecution for the spiritual well being of others (Ephesians 3:13; Phil.1:12).
Ephesians 3:13 (NASB)
13  Therefore I ask you not to lose heart at my tribulations on your behalf, for they are your glory.
Philippians 1:12 (NASB)
12  Now I want you to know, brethren, that my circumstances have turned out for the greater progress of the gospel,
O. Paul cried (Acts 20:31; Philippians 3:18) and rejoiced (Philippians 4:4) with brethren knowing that there was a true eternal heavenly home awaiting the faithful.
Acts 20:31 (NASB)
31  "Therefore be on the alert, remembering that night and day for a period of three years I did not cease to admonish each one with tears.
 Philippians 3:18 (NASB)
18  For many walk, of whom I often told you, and now tell you even weeping, that they are enemies of the cross of Christ,
  Philippians 4:4 (NASB)
4  Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! 

Conclusion:
What do we learn from the life of the apostle Paul?
A. We learn that whatever state of life we find ourselves in we can be content because we have heaven to look forward to (Philippians 4:11-13). 
 Philippians 4:11-13 (NASB)
11  Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.
12  I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.
13  I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
B. I can learn to look to men such as Paul and not allow myself to get discouraged or disheartened when life gets hard (Philippians 1:12). 
 Philippians 1:12 (NASB)
12  Now I want you to know, brethren, that my circumstances have turned out for the greater progress of the gospel,
C. Let us, as Paul did, continue to press on through life (Philippians 3:12). 
  Philippians 3:12 (NASB)
12  Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus.
D. May we all bring glory to God in this life by bearing fruit unto righteousness (John15:7).
 John 15:7 (NASB)
7  "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you."

Today's Verse 
Isaiah 59:1-2
Surely the arm of the
Lord is not too short to
save, nor his ear too
dull to hear. But your
iniquities have separated
you from your God;
your sins have hidden
his face from you, so
that he will not hear .

No comments:

Post a Comment